View the class syllabus HERE.
If you are a Jewish adult who has never had a Bar or Bat Mitzvah, now is your opportunity. This 14-month course will delve into Jewish theology, liturgy (prayer), and Jewish cannon (Torah, Midrash,Talmud, etc.).
Class time will also be devoted to the mastery of parts of the Shabbat morning service. The course culminates at the Shabbat morning service on Saturday, January 23, 2021, during which students will share in leading the service.
See syllabus above for dates or see the calendar.
Topics of Study:
- Meaning of Mitzvah
- Structure & meaning of the Shabbat Morning Service
- Introduction to the Jewish Cannon
- Jewish approaches to the Divine
- What happens when I die?
- Jewish response to death and mourning
- Parshah Tutoring: Chanting of 1-3 specific lines of Torah (5 hours of private study with tutor)
- Introduction to Kabbalah
- Jewish movements
- How to approach writing a D’var Torah (sermon)
- Basic Torah Trope
- Torah Study of specific parshah verses
Wednesday, 11/6: Introductory Class, no readings.