JCC Teen Program
• SHORTY News.. Join us for the first regional event of the year. From October 26-28, Leadership Training Institute (LTI) will be happening up at our local Camp Newman. This event is a unique opportunity to meet other Jewish teens from all over northern California, gain valuable leadership skills, and to “find your piece” of NFTY CWR. Registrations forms are available online at NFTY
• Popular Chaverim dinner discussions for each age group once or twice a month. Visit jccsoco.com for registration, dates, etc. We’re expecting approximately 100+ members this year.
• Great social activities, Shabbatons, campouts and celebrations throughout the year including: second annual Teen Talent Night, annual high school Casini Ranch campout, 8th grade bowling, indoor gymnastics dates, third annual teen-run Purim carnival, Monte Carlo casino nights
• Aaron Selya joins Rick as Assistant Director of JCC Teen Programs and brings his experience and enthusiasm to all aspects of our program
• Teen-led Social Action Committee
• Outreach plans to identify and engage unaffiliated Jewish teens county-wide
• A special opportunity to do some advanced Jewish learning with Rabbis Gittleman and Kramer
• Shabbat dinners for members
All events are county-wide, and encourage Jewish teen members as well as new prospective members. If your teens have been involved, and you have not signed them up, we encourage you to do so. If your teens have not been involved, call Aaron or Rick at the JCC at 707-528-4222 for more information.
More info at www.jccsoco.org
Shomrei Torah College Students
Sending your kids off to college this fall? Send us their names, addresses, email addresses and the name of their schools and we’ll keep in touch at the holidays! Email Melissa Kort.
Diller Scholarship & Fellows
Mazal Tov to Gabe Ferrick, who was awarded a Diller Scholarship for his work to end genocide. Gabe’s path toward activism began to unfold with his Shomrei Torah Bar Mitzvah project and $360 of his own money. He mobilized the Santa Rosa community through a Jewish World Watch Backpack Project, which became a “jumping-off point” for local and national efforts and has grown to include a Walk for Darfur and a Walk to End Genocide series. Gabe’s proud parents are Nancy and Reed Ferrick.
Mazal Tov to Isaac Kort-Mead, Lily Peterson and Matthew Blumenthal who have been named Diller Teen Fellows as part of a Bureau of Jewish Education program dedicated to developing future generations of Jewish leaders worldwide. The three teens will attend monthly seminars in San Francisco along with retreats and an intensive learning experience in Israel. Isaac is the son of Melissa Kort and Tom Meade, Lily’s parents are Laura and Rex Peterson, and Matt is the son of Jamie and Gary Blumenthal.